Wednesday, July 17, 2013

We have arrived!

                                               Greetings from Russia

Yesterday we spent our first full day in Russia. Everything was pretty smooth with the flight and entrance into Russia. No issues! Well except for the no sleeping for about 36 hours thing : )

We are still adjusting to the time difference here. St.Petersburg is 8 hours ahead. We have slept in more than usual the first two mornings. It does not get dark here until after 12. That has been crazy!

Our hotel is in an excellent location, honestly couldn't be better. Pretty much straight downtown located near some of the sights. Yesterday, as I mentioned we got up pretty late and visited St.Isaac's Cathedral. Probably the second most important church in St.Petersburg. A good bit of the church is being worked on which seems to be a common theme around here.

After lunch at the hotel we went up to the top of St.Isaac's where we were afforded amazing views of all of St.Petersburg. It truly was incredible being able to have the panoramic view of the city. I have to say this is an amazing city. The architecture, weather and scenery are incredible. I also have to say that I have never seen so many goregous women in my life. WOW!

After St.Isaac's we went down by the river and had a nice walk. We ended up near the Hermitage and took a walk around the humoungous plaza. I have never seen a square as big as the one that surrounds the Hermitage.

We then headed out for a nice dinner to cap off the evening.

Some things I have noticed:
1. Russian is extremely difficult to speak!
2. Women here are unbelievably gorgeous
3. Not that many people speak English (or the ones I have encountered) even the young people
4. A lot of work is being done around the city
5. Things take longer here, especially getting dinner. I feel like I am in Italy again


                                                        View on top of the lounge at the hotel!


                                                            View up top of St.Isaac's Cathedral


                                                         Arrrrghh matey, Lets go Pirates!


                                                           I guess it is true. God is watching


                                     View of the square around the Hermitage (palace built by Peter the Great)


                                                   Church of the Spilled blood in the distance. I believe where Alexander II a Russian emperor was assasinated.


                                                  I felt bad for this poor little feller : (


                                                                  Bread anyone?


                                                             The Hermitage palace


1 comment:

  1. Hi Tim,
    Just wanted you to know that I am thrilled that you and Uncle Ed are enjoying your trip so much. I am very much enjoying each installment and remembering how much grandpap enjoyed when I would read your blog to him on your previous trips. (A little nostalgia!)
    Enjoy every minute!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete