Thursday, July 18, 2013

Day 3: Journeys to the countryside

Awesome day!

Feel good, feel adjusted, feel like I am getting more of a feel for Russia. Once again, extremely thankful for the opportunities that have been available to me. Traveling is my passion and this is certainly another new adventure full of lessons and experiences.

Well, guess what? We slept in again! Everday we have slept in until about 10:30. Crazy! What is that saying, oh yeah, everything happens for a reason.

After coming down from my shower this morning my Uncle met a taxi driver that offered to show us the city. We eventually decided to head to the countryside to see Peter the Greats summer residence. We were able to get out of the city and see some of the sights around St.Petersburg. Our driver turned out to be a great find. We enjoyed spending the day with him while he made a concerted effort to show us the various sights around St.Pete.

I have been to a few palaces and I know some of you must be like, really? Another palace. Well yeah I like palaces so that is what I do. Well we had a few issues with this palace. None of them being the magnificence or worthiness of the palace. The issues concerned not being able to take photos and the more important one of not being able to read the signs for there were none in English. We met a Canadian, a couple from Italy and from Netherlands. They were as astounded as we were that the only information was written in Russian. Whats ya going to do? Complain, well I actually did say something to one of the workers but the point is "When in Rome". This Italian we met kept complaining and complaining. Enough is enough, just enjoy the scenery. Which my Uncle and I did. As I have mentioned I have really enjoyed traveling with my Uncle for he sees things from different angles or perspectives than I do.

I am getting lenghty with my writing, sorry. The palace was incredible. It had a ballroom, theatre, and of course many rooms to entertain. Peter the Great was quite the individual. Full of curiosity and drive. Willing to do whatever it took to make Russia into a respectable nation full of protecting itself from foreign invasion. The gardens surrounding the palace were fantastic. Unfortunately it began to rain but we were able to see a good bit.

After our journey to the Peterhof we went to an island near St.Petersburg which used to contain the most important fort in Russia. This fort was used to defeat the Swedish and enabled the Russians to maintain control over the Gulf of Finland and St.Petersburg. This area was also important during the communist area for it housed the Soviet Navy. In fact the island was off limits to the public. Now the island has seen a bit of a resurgence and contains one of the most amazing churches I have ever seen. Now let me tell you I have seen some churches. One doesn't visit Italy without seeing some incredible churches. Check the pictures below.

After our journey around St.Petersburg we returned to the city and stopped at a famous naval vessel that was used during the Russian Revolution. In fact it was used to shell the Hermitage! We then head to the most famous church in St.Petersburg called the Church of the Spilled Blood. Creepy name right, this was the scene of the assasination of Alexander II. Alexander was a Romanov and the Tsar. He was killed right on this spot and a church was built in his memory. The church once again is magnificent. The mosaics are so incredible they are hard to explain. It really is amazing to me how talented people are. I always am reminded of this when I travel. What humans have created is remarkable.

We ended up the day by having a great dinner with some live music. Life is good!






        Vladimir Putin's weekend retreat. Also sight of a G8 meeting. Putins kids live in St.Petersburg



 
 
 
 
 
Fried chicken anyone?
 
 
 
Church at the Peterhof. Summer palace of the Czars
 
 
 
Gardens at the Summer palace
 
 
 
 
Palace in the background surrounded by the beautiful gardens and fountains
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


 
Typical old time Soviet apartments
 
 
 
Unbelievable church. Reminded me of Hagia Sophia in Istanbul
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Famous naval vessel that began the Russian Revolution as far as naval warfare is concerned. Fired on the Hermitage or the Royal Palace.
 
 
 
 
 
Probably the second most famous church in Russia. Church of the Spilled Blood
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 



                                                   
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment