Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Day 2: The Hermitage Palace

                                                                Day 2: The Hermitage

Once again we slept in. At least we were able to make breakfast this time. I think we should be all set as far as sleep goes and being caught up. I know I feel caught up and I think my Uncle is getting there as well.

I have really enjoyed traveling with my Uncle. He is very knowledgeable on many subjects and notices things that I don't. I can be oblivious to many things and I lack knowledge on many subjects. However, he has been extremely informative about subjects that interest me. Especially architecture and photography. I am very thankful for everything he has done for me in life.

After breakfast we headed down to the Hermitage. We were able to skip the long lines since we are staying at a fancy restaurant. That was pretty sweet.

The Hermitage is just ridiculous. It is massive and incredibly detailed and spectacular. The art collection is fantastic along with many of its artifacts and relics. One of the most important Czars in history, Peter the Great, began this palace for he wanted to make Russia into a respected nation amongst the rivals of Europe. He visited France and came back knowing that something needed to be done on his palace. So he decided to begin the Hermitage. Now the Hermitage is no Versailles but come on, nothing compares to Versailles in my opinion anyway.

Peter the Great is famous for going in disguise around Europe, mainly Amsterdam and England. He went in disguise and even got a job working at shipyards so that he could learn the ways of the great ship builders of his day. While away he met with important inventors, scientists and philosophers. Whatever he acquired he sent back, including ship designs. I have always respected him for immersing himself into other cultures to learn the best they offer in order to improve his great country.

The Hermitage contains crazy amounts of artwork from all around the world. It truly was a pleasure being able to witness a place that I teach my students about. Of course just like Versailles, I couldn't help but think that all of the opulence and extravagance led to the Revolution. Just a spectacular palace that shows the extreme spending and living by royal families not just in Russia but all across Europe during the Age of Absolute Power in Europe.























1 comment:

  1. It looks like there is much more to see and do in St. Petersburg but Moscow will be very interesting in a different way. I wonder how long the train is from St. Petersburg to Moscow?

    ReplyDelete